Berniece Pearce Diary - 1949

Other Years:


Saturday, January 1, 1949

Cousins Willis and Mary were here this morning and brought a box of stuffed dates.  Mother came home from Bob’s in eve.  Ray went to work at midnight.

Sunday, January 2, 1949

Ray took children to Sunday School.  Boys went to show in afternoon.  Lorene came out in aft. but didn’t stay long as the Spauldings were waiting for the car.  Ray, Pat, M.E., L.R. and I went to Diller’s in the evening.  Aunt Helen served jello, fruitcake, candy and coffee; 7-up for the children.  Had a very nice time.

Monday, January 3, 1949

Ray took Mary Ellen to Dr. Ranker to see about glasses and then they went to a show at the Orpheum, “Paleface” with Bob Hope.  Got home about 11 p.m.

Tuesday, January 4, 1949

Ray took laundry to laundromat.

Wednesday, January 5, 1949

Quartet met at Willson’s.  They decided to disband.

Thursday, January 6, 1949

Went to Bob’s.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Marge served the best black walnut cake bars and coffee.  Also popcorn.  They have a very pretty Christmas tree.

Friday, January 7, 1949

Went to Sutton’s for the evening.  They served pop, coffee, salad, cheese and cookies. Elsie and Wilna were there, too, and we took them home.  Saw Carol’s Christmas tree and gifts.

Saturday, January 8, 1949

Ray went to work at midnight.  Took M.E. to oculist.  She has to have glasses.  Ray’s shirt and Mary Ellen’s robe came from Mother Durst.

Sunday, January 9, 1949

Ray took children to Sunday School except Jim.  He went hunting.  Pat went to a show in afternoon.  Ray went to church in evening.

Monday, January 10, 1949

Everyone home tonight except Pat.  He went to Scout meeting.

Tuesday, January 11, 1949

Berdine fixed my hair.  Sent to Sears for valentines and toweling.  Didn’t go to class meeting at Peggy Wallace’s after all as rainy and chilly.  Ray and Pat went to bean supper.

Wednesday, January 12, 1949

Bob and Marge came out.  I cut out L.R.’s pink dress.

Thursday, January 13, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.

Friday, January 14, 1949

Ray washed tonight.

Saturday, January 15, 1949

Mary Ellen got her glasses today.  Ray went to work at midnight.

Sunday, January 16, 1949

Ray and children went to Sunday School and church, except Jim.  Ray home tonight.

Monday, January 17, 1949

Ray went to see Mrs. Mallett who died yesterday.  He met Mr. and Mrs. J. Haywood there.

Tuesday, January 18, 1949

Sleeted all day and turned to snow in eve.  All stayed home and listened to radio.  Had popcorn and pop.  L.R. has a cold and didn’t go to school.

Wednesday, January 19, 1949

Letter from Mother D.  Wrote to her.  Jim went out in eve. but rest of us stayed home and listened to radio.  L.R. home today.

Thursday, January 20, 1949

Ray went to U&I potluck with the Willsons and then choir rehearsal.  L.R. went back to school today.

Thursday, January 27, 1949

Mother’s birthday.  We gave her an apron.  Baked a cake and got some candy.

Saturday, January 29, 1949

Ray worked from 12 to 8 a.m. Sunday.  Velma, Harriet, Frances, Jo and Blanche were out.  Served popcorn and pop.

Sunday, January 30, 1949

Went to six o’clock dinner at Doc’s.  Ray and children didn’t go to Sunday School.

Thursday, February 3, 1949

Marge came out for the day.  Gave me a “Toni”.  Margaret Troy came out in evening and gave M.E. an aqua dress, L.R. pink, 5 Hersheys, and Pat $1.00.

Friday, February 4, 1949

Margaret Troy called to say she bought material for 4 dresses (2 each) for girls.  Ray went down to get material and then helped her shop for supper as Tom and Delores [Kane] came to town unexpectedly.

Saturday, February 5, 1949

Ray went to work 4 to midnight.  Tom and Delores were out at noon.  Like his wife very much.  Carol came out in evening and stayed all night.

Sunday, February 6, 1949

Ray, children and Carol went to Sunday School and church.  I made divinity.  Mother went to Jacksonville.  Ray and Pat went to church in evening.

Monday, February 7, 1949

Ray washed.  I washed best clothes.

Tuesday, February 8, 1949

Pat’s birthday.  I baked a cake and made divinity.  We stayed home and listened to radio.  Class meeting at Eileen Boyle’s but didn’t go.

Wednesday, February 9, 1949

Merle Perkington and Katherine Gathard were out in afternoon.  Ray took Pat to Armory for Scout display.  We listened to radio and I finished book “Bishop’s Mantle.”

Thursday, February 10, 1949

Letter from Mother Durst.  I wrote her.  L.R. stayed all night at Maureen’s.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Pat went to “Scouts on Review” at Armory.

Saturday, February 12, 1949

High wind - cloudy and chilly.  Package came from Mother Durst.  She sent blue and white dot rayon for M.E., brown plaid for L.R., Valentine candy, can of shrimp, R.R. magazine and funnies for family.  Ray went to work at 4 p.m.  Aunt Helen came in evening and brought ironing board cover.  Lorene and Katie came out.  L.R. sick with headache and upset stomach.

Sunday, February 13, 1949

Ray took M.E., Pat and Jim to S.S. and church.  He stopped at Marge’s and got eyelet embroidery.  Larry Farris was over and Pat went to Christian Endeavor with him.  Bob, Marge and Robbie came over after supper. We served Pepsi Cola.  L.R. felt better today.

Monday, February 14, 1949

Cut out Mary Ellen’s green and white print dress.  Children got lots of Valentines.  Mrs. Yocom sent us a box of candy and Maureen gave L.R. pictures taken of L.R. and her on Maureen’s birthday.  Ray gave me a box of candy.  He’s about sick with a cold.  L.R. went to school.  I talked to Mr. Seiferman [school principal] and he said she was the best in the class.  M.E. attended her first Girl Scout meeting.  Pat went to Boy Scouts.

Tuesday, February 15, 1949

Cut out L.R.’s red print dress.  Mrs. Yocom got the eyelet embroidery for M.E.’s and L.R.’s dresses.  She took L.R. to town in late afternoon and got her a pair of black patent leather shoes.  They are too wide.  Ray’s cold is better.

Wednesday, February 16, 1949

Worked on L.R.’s dress.  Mrs. Yocom stopped by and picked up L.R.’s shoes to exchange.  Ray’s first “Popular Mechanics” came.  Sent package containing clothes L.R. has outgrown to Jane [Cantrall] and package of M.E.’s and L.R.’s to Franklin [IL].  Sent wedding gift (towels and wash cloths) to Laura Frances [?].  Ray’s cold is better.  Listened to radio and worked on L.R.’s red print dress.

Thursday, February 17, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Listened to radio and worked on L.R.’s red print dress.  Evelyn Wells and daughter, 5 yrs. old, called in afternoon.  She’ll be 6 in July and older girl, Dorothy, will be 8 in July.

Friday, February 18, 1949

Ray is home today.  Got his check and paid bills.  Took the clothes out to the laundromat.  Marge came out and fixed my hair and Mary Ellen’s.  Letter came from Mother Durst.

Saturday, February 19, 1949

Ruby [Long] and baby here this p.m., also Mrs. Godley.  Malcom Spaulding died  today.  Ray went to work at 4 p.m.  Mrs. Yocom took girls downtown in aft.  Exchanged L.R.’s slippers.  I wrote to Mother Durst describing house at 401 E. Keys.  Finished Linda Rae’s red print dress.  Beautiful sunny day.  Laura Frances was married today.

Sunday, February 20, 1949

Ray and children went to S.S. and church.  Stopped by Marge’s and picked up some second hand clothes for Jim.  Made divinity in aft.  Wrote another letter to Mother D.  Dark, gloomy day.  Listened to radio and worked on Mary Ellen’s green print dress.

Monday, February 21, 1949

Raining today.  Dotted Swiss for M.E. and L.R. came today from Mother Durst.  Berdine came in afternoon.  L.R. stayed at Maureen’s for supper.  Ray home tonight.  I worked on Mary Ellen’s dress.  Listened to radio.

Tuesday, February 22, 1949

Cloudy today.  Called Lorene and Cousin Willis called me.  No mail delivery today.  Worked on M.E.’s green dress.  Ray and Pat went to the bean supper.  We listened to radio.  I made divinity.  Ray brought Eskimo pies home.  He took his first guitar lesson.

Wednesday, February 23, 1949

Cloudy today.  Received letter from Mother Durst.  Mother received pictures of Wes and Alice.  Worked on M.E.’s green dress.  M.E. took orders for Girl Scout cookies.  We all stayed home, listened to radio and ate popcorn and drank Pepsi-Cola.  Sun shone around noon.

Thursday, February 24, 1949

Raining today.  Berdine stopped in for an hour after taking children to school.  Cousin Willis called and told me to call a Miss Newell at St. John’s Hospital about treatments.  I called her and she said she could take me but talk to Dr. Romence first.  I can’t call him today as he has no office hours on Thursday.  I advised W.J.    Ray went to choir rehearsal.

Friday, February 25, 1949

Ray is home today.  He talked to Mr. Krimmel about house at 401 E. Keys.  Received letters from Mother D. and Alice.  Ray went to school to see Mr. Seiferman and teachers.  Berdine stopped in for a little while.  Wrote letter to Mother D.    Ray went to see Dr. Romence and he advised taking treatments.

Saturday, February 26, 1949

Beautiful spring-like day.  Went with Ray in morning to get groceries.  M.E. took piano lesson.  L.R. went to Yocom’s, stayed for lunch and got her hair shampooed.  I baked a lemon pie and chocolate cake.  Cousin Willis and Lorene came out in aft.  She brought M.E. 2 wool skirts, sweater, mittens; a little coin purse for L.R.  Also a sack of candy for everyone.  Aunt Helen came out in eve.  Came at 7 and stayed until 11:30.  Ray went to work at midnight.  Wrote letter to Mother D.

Sunday, February 27, 1949

Rain and snow - windy.  Ray took children to Sunday School.  We had fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, salad, and chocolate cake for supper.  Ray went to church in evening and brought quart of ice cream (black walnut) home.  I worked on M.E.’s skirts and L.R.’s purse.  Listened to radio.  Pat went to a show in aft.  Jim went out in eve.

Monday, February 28, 1949

Sunny but cold - 14 at 7 a.m.  Sent my green and black print dress, M.E.’s new (to her) light blue skirt and L.R.’s plaid wool scarf to Geatz Cleaners.  I’ve got a cold and can’t hardly walk tonight, so must be running a temperature.  Ray popped corn and we ate that, drank pop, and listened to radio.

Tuesday, March 1, 1949

L.R. has a cold and stayed home today.  I put in miserable night and got only 1 ½ hours sleep.  Got up about every hour to go to bathroom and could barely walk.  Slept about an hour in aft.  Berdine got lining for jacket that was M.E.’s and L.R. can wear now.  Ray was all in tonight and all of us were in bed by 9 o’clock.

Wednesday, March 2, 1949

L.R. went back to school.  Ray is almost sick with a cold and came home at 2:30.  L.R. went with Maureen out at George Krimmel’s.  Received letter from Mother D. saying $10,000 was all she’d pay for house at 401 Keys.  Lined L.R.’s brown jacket today.  Cleaning came back from Geatz - dress, 75cents; skirt, 50cents; scarf, 15cents.  We all went to bed by 9:30 tonight.

Thursday, March 3, 1949

Lined Maureen’s brown jacket.  Berdine stopped in to leave it this a.m. and picked it up this p.m.  Girls went down on avenue with her to get library books.  She got me a pound of chocolate covered cherries, 39 cents, at Ford Hopkins.  Ray’s cold is better but he still feels bad.  L.R. and I are better.  Listened to radio.

Friday, March 4, 1949

Ray home today.  Washed best things in portable washer and front and back bedroom and bathroom curtains.  Metal chair from Sears came today.  Ray washed at laundromat.  He had 8 loads.  Got home at 10:00 and brought Eskimo pies.  Pat went to a show.  Jim went out for a little while.  Ray’s cold is a little better.

Saturday, March 5, 1949

Ray is home today.  Linda Rae went to Martha Ann’s this morning to play.  Stayed for lunch.  Lorene called and said today is her mother’s birthday and next Sunday is Cousin Mary’s.  She said to send Cousin Mary a card as they were planning a card shower.  Margaret Troy stopped last night to get Girl Scout cookies.  M.E. got all of hers delivered.  Ray went to work at midnight.  Ironed the curtains and other things.  Worked on Ray’s jacket in eve. and listened to radio.

Sunday, March 6, 1949

Ray took children to Sunday School.  He stopped at Bob’s.  Mom went to Jacksonville.  Pat went to a show.  Ray didn’t go to church in eve.

Monday, March 7, 1949

Ray got a new bottle of liver extract from Watt’s, $14.36.  Cut out L.R.’s red plaid.

Tuesday, March 8, 1949

Went to S.S. class meeting at Kathy Hoenstein’s.

Wednesday, March 9, 1949

Stayed home and listened to radio.  Ray popped corn and had pop.

Thursday, March 10, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Sent letter to Mother D.    Laughlin [minister] called in aft.  Aunt Helen here in eve.

Friday, March 11, 1949

Ray home today.  I talked to Mrs. Skibitski.  Ray home tonight.  Mrs. Godley came over in aft. and I worked on L.R.’s red plaid dress.

Saturday, March 12, 1949

Ray went to work at midnight.  Mrs. Yocom has the flu.  Finished M.E.’s green dress.

Sunday, March 13, 1949

Linda Rae didn’t go to S.S. as she coughed all night.  Ray took M.E., Jim and Pat.  Pat went to show in aft.  Ray went to church in eve.  I finished L.R.’s red plaid.  Hemmed black and white checked skirt in eve.  Talked to Lorene over phone.  M.E. wore her green print to S.S. for the first time.

Monday, March 14, 1949

Cold today - snow.  Cut out M.E.’s blue and white dot.  L.R. wore her red plaid for the first time.  Bertha Anderson stopped in for a few minutes in the aft.  Ray heard Payne Gale’s baby is seriously ill.  L.R. got crayons from Martha S.  Got some for Maureen, too.

Tuesday, March 15, 1949

Berdine stopped in for a little while.  She took L.R. home from school and washed her hair.  She stayed for supper.  Ray saw Laura Frances in Castor’s today with her new hubby but she looked the other way.  Ray washed today.

Wednesday, March 16, 1949

Linda Rae was in program at PTA this aft.  She came home at noon and got cleaned and dressed.  Letter from Mother D. and note from Aunt Ethel.  Sewed on M.E.’s blue and white dot dress.  Listened to radio and worked on L.R.’s green snow slacks.  Ray home tonight.

Thursday, March 17, 1949

Marge came out in aft. and fixed my hair and M.E.’s.  M.E. wore her green print and L.R. the red print in honor of St. Patrick’s Day.  Ray took Marge home.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  I listened to radio and worked on M.E.’s blue dot dress.  Letter from Aunt Fannie.

Friday, March 18, 1949

Ray home today.  He got his pay this morning.  Men’s quartet met here tonight.  Mr. Bryant sang in Mr. Willson’s place.  Carol and Charles came out, too.  Men only stayed an hour.  Ray got some ice cream and cookies and M.E. made a pot of coffee.  Ray paid my insurance today.  Ray washed bathroom.

Saturday, March 19, 1949

M.E. took music lesson.  L.R. and M.E. went to Esquire with Yocoms.  Bob and Robbie were here in eve.  Ray went to work at midnight.

Sunday, March 20, 1949

Children didn’t go to S.S. this morning as girls had bad cough and boys didn’t get up in time.  Dominic and brother, who is new operator at filter plant, called at suppertime.  Shortly afterwards, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Haenig called.  Ray and Pat went to church.  Cut out red plaid blouse for L.R. in aft.

Monday, March 21, 1949

Ray took Pat to Scout meeting at high school.  We listened to radio and I worked on dotted Swiss.

Tuesday, March 22, 1949

Pat and Ray sang at the last men’s night bean supper.  The quartet sang.  We listened to radio and I worked on yellow dotted Swiss and plaid blouse.  Wrote letters to Alice [Cantrall] and Mother D.

Wednesday, March 23, 1949

Ray was off today.  I worked on L.R.’s yellow dotted Swiss and plaid blouse.  Finished the latter.  Ray stayed home and we listened to radio.  I made divinity.

Thursday, March 24, 1949

Ray went to work at 4 p.m.  Cousin Willis was out in afternoon.  Berdine stopped in for a little while in morning.  Washed best things in little washer.  Lorene and Mrs. Hanson came out in evening.  Leroy Lynn died this afternoon.

Friday, March 25, 1949

Ray’s working today.  Aunt Helen came tonight.  Letter from Ray’s mother.  Ray went to funeral home to see Leroy Lynn.  Pat went out to Boy Scout camp to stay overnight.  Ray saw Margaret Toulme’s engagement ring.  She’s going to marry Bertha Cudworth’s husband [?].

Saturday, March 26, 1949

Mary Ellen didn’t take her music lesson today.  Ray went to funeral.  Jim didn’t work today.  Bought himself a topcoat and suit.  Ray went to work at midnight.

Sunday, March 27, 1949

Ray took children to S.S.  Brought 2 doz. eggs home that Hagler got from his dad, 37 cents doz.  Boys went to shows in aft.  Girls walked down to avenue for candy bars.  Ray went to church in eve.  Jane Diller’s baby arrived at 3 p.m. today.  Called it Anne Hughes Diller.  Wrote a letter to Mother D.

Monday, March 28, 1949

Berdine called in morning and I asked her to get 2 patterns for M.E. and 1 for L.R., also yellow thread and 1/4" black velvet ribbon.  She came back in afternoon with my things and showed me what she bought for herself.  She also brought chocolate ice cream.  Ray went to union meeting and Pat went to Scouts.  M.E. has a sore throat and didn’t go to school today.  Finished yellow dotted Swiss.  I called Dr. Romence about treatment Friday.

Tuesday, March 29, 1949

Called Miss Newell at St. John’s Hospital and made an appointment for treatment at 2:30 p.m. Friday.  Cut out M.E.’s yellow print broadcloth dress and sewed on it.  Ray is washing tonight.  Grass is getting quite green and bushes (Spirea) are budded.

Wednesday, March 30, 1949

Worked on M.E.’s yellow print.  L.R. went home with Mrs. Yocom for lunch.  Ray and I went to Scattergood’s in the evening.  Ray is going to help him install his sink.  Had a nice time.  They served Roselle’s butter pecan ice cream, which was delicious.  Picked up nylon hose Aunt Helen got for me @ 82 cents pr. (seamless).

Thursday, March 31, 1949

Worked on M.E.’s yellow dress.  Fell before Ray went to work.  Berdine brought rickrack for M.E. and L.R.’s yellow prints.  Children went with Yocoms to amateur show at school.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Aunt Helen left at 1:50 p.m. for California.

Friday, April 1, 1949

Ray home today.  L.R. had lunch at Yocoms.  Cancelled appointment at hospital as weather so cold and raw and I couldn’t walk as well as usual.  Green and lilac material Mother bought for L.R. and Robbie’s shirt came today from Sears.  Dress from Spiegel’s cancelled.  Baked a spanish cocoa cake.  Nellie Long phoned that Marcy has a baby boy born today, Glenn, 7 lbs. 15 oz.

Saturday, April 2, 1949

M.E. took her music lesson.  Ray bought a new grey hat.  L.R. went to Yocom’s in afternoon and Berdine washed her hair.  Sent an order to Spiegel’s for a dress for Carol’s birthday, jeans for M.E. and L.R., 2 slips for M.E., and dish towels.  Frosted the cake I baked yesterday.  Did some ironing and a little work on M.E.’s yellow dress.  Ray went to work at midnight, the last time for a year, I hope.

Sunday, April 3, 1949

Children didn’t go to S.S. as Ray had to get some sleep and go to rehearsal for Easter Cantata at 2 p.m.  Carol and Charles came out in aft. and Carol stayed for supper.  After she left, Bob, Marge and Robbie came.  I made divinity but it had to be eaten with spoons.

Monday, April 4, 1949

Received letter from Mother D. and Mom received one from Betty.  Berdine came for a while in aft.  She took the girls home for lunch.  L.R. was on the “blink” last night so Ray got her cold prescription filled.  She wore the pink dress Margaret Troy gave her to school for the first time.

Tuesday, April 5, 1949

Wrote letter to Mother D.  Quartet met here last night.  Berdine got green material for L.R.’s yellow print, white eyelet for her lilac,  and green and lilac thread.  Sent it up by M.E.

Wednesday, April 6, 1949

Berdine stopped by this morning and brought hose she exchanged.  I paid her the difference, also for thread and eyelet.  All I owe now is for green material.  Check came from government for income tax refund, $6.60.  Ray went to Scattergood’s to work on sink.  Order arrived from Spiegel’s but did not send L.R.’s jeans, so ordered a pair and a shirt from Sears.  Talked to Lorene on phone.

Thursday, April 7, 1949

Worked on L.R.’s green chambray and M.E.’s yellow print.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.

Friday, April 8, 1949

Ray home today.  Went to Sutton’s (Ray, M.E. and L.R.) to get Carol’s Girl Scout dress.

Saturday, April 9, 1949

L.R.’s shirt and dungarees came.  Shirt okay but dungarees too small.  We went for a short ride to Lake in eve.

Sunday, April 10, 1949

Ray and children went to S.S. and church.  Ray went to choir rehearsal in aft.

Monday, April 11, 1949

L.R. sick today.  Berdine came up in aft. and cut out dress for Maureen.  Margaret took M.E. to Scout meeting at Ridgely [School].  Pat went to his Scout meeting and Ray went out to Cornland.

Tuesday, April 12, 1949

Letter from Alice.  Margaret came out and brought a hat for M.E.  Lorene and Judy were out.  Ray went to Scattergood’s and finished installing sink.

Wednesday, April 13, 1949

Margaret came out and brought a hat for L.R. and pair socks ea. for the girls and a white pocket book for each; 3 pairs socks and tie for Pat; also, lots of Easter eggs.  Ray washed tonight.

Thursday, April 14, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal, also evangelistic meeting before.  Ray sent letter to Mother D.  Judy and Lorene brought a barrette for M.E. and pink ribbon for L.R.  Also black velvet for M.E.’s dress and blue ribbon for L.R.’s hat.

Friday, April 15, 1949

Snow today.  Received letter from Mother D.  Lorene, Judy and Katie were out.  Cousin Willis sent out letter from Kabot-Kaiser Institute by Lorene yesterday.  Linda Rae stayed all night with Yocoms.  Berdine shampooed and curled her hair.

Saturday, April 16, 1949

Received 5 lb. box of candy from Mother D.  Jim bought a 1938 Chevrolet car today.  Ray got M.E. a cute pair of patent leather slippers.  Bill Scattergood gave Ray silverware service for four.  Ray gave me a lovely Easter lily, bless him.

Sunday, April 17, 1949

[Easter] - Ray and children went to S.S. and church in morning.  Ray, L.R., M.E. and I went for a ride to Athens.  Ray took pictures of children.  Ray went to church in evening.  The choir gave their Easter Cantata.

Monday, April 18, 1949

Linda Rae went with Maureen to Philpott’s in aft. and she, Maureen, Linda Kay Chestnut, Martha Ann Skibitski, Norma Kay Jordan, and Judy Carole Philpott went to see “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” at the Orpheum.  After which they went to Philpott’s for a lunch.  Berdine was here in morn. and aft.  Merle Perkington brought me a lily from the class.  Cut out L.R.’s lilac sundress.  Carol came out and took M.E. home for supper, and Ray and L.R. went out to get her later.

Tuesday, April 19, 1949

Went to S.S. class meeting at Melfrances Underwood’s last night.  Picked up Marge and took her home.  Male quartet met here last night.  Card from Mother D. saying Dad may be laid off and if so will set sail for Springfield.  Worked on L.R.’s lilac dress.

Wednesday, April 20, 1949

Wrote letter to Aunt Helen c/o Eva Johnson.  Worked on lilac dress and made a belt for M.E.’s blue dot.  Girls received gloves from Margaret.  Ray and girls went with Yocoms to Open House at school tonight.  M.E. wore the blue dot for the first time.  L.R. wore her pink printed muslin.

Thursday, April 21, 1949

Mother received letter from Betty.  Girls stayed for movies after school.  Ray sang at Old Ladies Home for the Blind and then went to choir rehearsal.  Pat went to First Presbyterian Church to Scout chilli supper.  I called Lorene.  Rained tonight.  Worked on L.R.’s lilac dress.

Friday, April 22, 1949

Went out to Bob and Marge’s in the evening.  Had a nice visit and she served ice cream and chocolate syrup.

Saturday, April 23, 1949

Mary Ellen took her music lesson.

Sunday, April 24, 1949

Ray took girls and Pat to S.S. and church.  We drove down to Franklin in afternoon to see Aunt Georgia.  Stopped to see Ory, Iva, Maynard, DeWayne, Rita and Jean.  Got home about 7:30 p.m.

Monday, April 25, 1949

Berdine stopped in to talk about Kabot-Kaiser Institute.  Received letter from Mother D. saying they would be here Thursday.  Berdine offered to keep girls if I had to go to hospital.

Tuesday, April 26, 1949

Berdine and husband, also Maureen here in evening.  We discussed ways of getting money for trip to hospital.

Wednesday, April 27, 1949

Cousin Willis came out and talked about hospital in Washington, D.C.  Brought children candy bars.

Thursday, April 28, 1949

Berdine came in morning and cleaned living and dining rooms and back bedroom.  Ray worked until 5:30 a.m., slept til 10 o’clock and cleaned kitchen and front bedroom.  Ray’s dad and mother arrived at 5:30 p.m.  Mother went to Bob’s after supper.  Margaret Troy came out in eve.  M.E.’s dress goods (gray and rose), L.R.’s dungarees, and my girdle came.  Berdine bought 6 cups and 2 plates, 70 cents.  Cousin Willis called and said to call Dr. Romence about Washington.

Friday, April 29, 1949

Called Dr. Romence about examination at Kabot-Kaiser Institute in Washington, D.C.

Saturday, April 30, 1949

Pat was sick tonight and we had the doctor out.  Has a bad cold.  Pat got a new wheel [bicycle]  at Western Auto today.

Sunday, May 1, 1949

Ray took Jim, M.E. and L.R. to S.S. and church.  Not a very nice day.  Stayed home all day.

Monday, May 2, 1949

Took a ride around lake and stopped for ice cream cones at Sangamon Dairy.

Tuesday, May 3, 1949

Marge and Mother came out in afternoon.  Marge shampooed and set my hair.  Mother and Dad D. went to town.  Ray took them home.

Wednesday, May 4, 1949

Aunt Helen came this evening.  Told us all about her trip out west.  Ray went to bed early about sick with a cold.

Thursday, May 5, 1949

Ray didn’t go to choir rehearsal tonight.  He went to bed early.  Lorene and Katie came out.

Friday, May 6, 1949

Mother D. went over to Lee’s in aft. and visited Mrs. Neuner.  She took M.E. and L.R. to town in eve.  We took them home and then went to Willson’s for a little visit.  Stopped at Marge’s to pick up gifts for Mother’s Day.  Picked up Mother & girls at 8:30 p.m.

Saturday, May 7, 1949

Mrs. Wheeler from Lalla Rookh [Order of Eastern Star] came in morning and brought some pansies.  Berdine sent over two red roses.  She shampooed and curled my hair.  L.R. started taking music [piano] lessons.

Sunday, May 8, 1949

[Mother’s Day] Ray took M.E. and L.R. to S.S. & church.  Jim went fishing and Pat was sick.  I received a pair of hose from Ray, candy from M.E., mixed salted nuts from L.R., apron from Jim, and beads from Lorene.  Virginia Lee Walker and Fred Spaulding called this afternoon.  Ray, Mother & Dad D., M.E., L.R. and I went out to the “drive-in” and saw “Angle and the Badman” starring Gail Russell, John Blaine, Irene Rich, Bruce Cabot, and Harry Carey.  Also, Bugs Bunny cartoon.  Stopped by Spauldings to get asparagus.

Monday, May 9, 1949

Spaulding’s Testimonial.  Ray came home at 2 p.m. to dress and go.  Berdine got salvias and put those and pansies out.  Called Dr. Romence but he hasn’t heard from Washington, D.C.

Tuesday, May 10, 1949

Ray went to Cudworth’s stag party prior to wedding in June to Marg Toulme.  Mother & Daughter Banquet at West Side.  Cousin Willis called to ask if I saw article on Lou Gehrig concerning M.S. in Register this evening.

Wednesday, May 11, 1949

Mrs. Godley was over this afternoon.  Lorene phoned re present for Helen Burdinsky.

Thursday, May 12, 1949

Went out to Bob’s while Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Girls went, too.  Received letter from Alice [Cantrall]  saying they are coming over Decoration Day.  Also, Alice Jean [Cantrall] got married last fall and is expecting a baby.  Mrs. Becker was over with her baby.  He’s 6 weeks old.

Friday, May 13, 1949

Mother D. went to town and got M.E. a midriff blouse and material for another.  Ray washed tonight.  We sat out on porch for a while.  Berdine exchanged my white belt.

Saturday, May14, 1949

Girls took their piano lessons today.  Berdine fixed M.E.’s and L.R.’s hair.  St. Joseph’s School burned this morning at 6 a.m. $200,000 loss.  Mr. and Mrs. Lee came over for a few minutes with their two children.  Mother and Aunt Helen were hurt in auto accident.  They were going to Jacksonville with Uncle Rob.

Sunday, May 15, 1949

Ray took M.E., Pat and L.R. to S.S. and church.  Jim had to work.  We took a little ride in aft.  Got ice cream cones.  Ray goes to work at midnight.  He’s taking Hagler’s place while he’s on vacation.

Monday, May 16, 1949

Baked cake for S.S. class meeting.  Ray slept all day.  We drove out to airport and stopped later for ice cream cones.

Tuesday, May 17, 1949

I was assistant hostess at S.S. class meeting at Marge’s tonight.  Ray, Bob and Robbie went to a show at the drive-in.

Wednesday, May 18, 1949

Drove down to Girard to get eggs from Mr. Hagler.

Thursday, May 19, 1949

Ray worked 4-12.

Friday, May 20, 1949

Ray on 4-12 p.m.  Aunt Helen stopped by but our door bell didn’t ring so she went on.

Saturday, May 21, 1949

Ray home today.  Girls took music lessons.  Ray got my glasses fixed.

Sunday, May 22, 1949

Ray took Pat and girls to S.S. and church.  Jim went to Decatur last night.  We took a ride in early part of aft.  Aunt Helen came over in eve.  Ray got butter pecan ice cream in eve.  He went to bed early as he had to go to work at midnight.  Jim got home at 11:30.

Monday, May 23, 1949

Ray took children to school.  He slept all day.  Charles, Carol and Alan came out.  Jim brought a gallon of maple nut ice cream home.  Alan and Jim left in Jim’s car.

Tuesday, May 24, 1949

I ironed some of our best things.  Mother D. washed.  Berdine was here this morn.  Talked to Lorene this a.m.

Wednesday, May 25, 1949

We listened to radio tonight.  Ray got to hear Bing Crosby sing “Ghost Riders on the Trail.”

Thursday, May 26, 1949

Ray worked 4-12 shift.  Listened to radio last night for Al Jolson.  Nelson Eddy and Dorothy Kirsten will be on sometime next week for all summer.

Friday, May 27, 1949

Berdine washed and curled my hair today.  We sat in backyard while it dried.  Mother D. went to town as Ray went to work on 4-12 shift.  Bob and Mom were out in eve.  Mom made some prune and senna laxative for me.

Saturday, May 28, 1949

Wes, Alice, Betty, Mike and Jane arrived at Bob’s this morning.  They came here this eve., except Betty.  Girls took music lessons.  I went to Dr. Irvine and had my eyes tested.  He told me my glasses are okay.

Sunday, May 29, 1949

Ray took children to S.S. and church.  Mother and Dad Durst went to Decatur.  Ray, Pat, M.E., L.R., Maureen and I went to Aunt Helen’s for supper.  She had Doc and Minnie, the Bob Cantralls, Wes Cantralls, Mother and Ruth Ann.  Had a fine time.  Ray went to work at midnight.

Monday, May 30, 1949

Ray slept all day.  Mother and girls went to cemetery with Dad.  We went for a ride and got cones.

Tuesday, May 31, 1949

Mother washed today.  We sat on porch in evening and Mrs. Godsey came over.

Wednesday, June 1, 1949

We went down to Girard to Hagler’s for 12 doz. eggs at 37 cents doz.  Stopped at Sangamon Dairy and got cones.

Thursday, June 2, 1949

Mother D. weent to town this aft.  Eileen and little Jane were here this aft.  She brought 4 chickens ($4.00) and we paid her for the lard, $3.60.  Ray went to choir rehearsal tonight.  A woman substitute came for the Jewel Tea Co. today.

Friday, June 3, 1949

L.R. wore her lilac sundress today for first time.  Ray got paid tonight.  He went to town in eve. and bought Pat 2 prs. overalls and 5 tee-shirts and himself a pair of overalls.  Roger, Jewell & George Buck were here; also, Lorene.  She brought M.E. 2 dresses and 3 skirts.

Saturday, June 4, 1949

Girls took music lessons.  Mother D. found an apartment.  Berdine fixed girls’ hair in aft.  Ray and Pat went to Father & Son Banquet in eve.  Dad D. got butter pecan ice cream.

Sunday, June 5, 1949

Ray took children to S.S. and church.  Ray attended Deacon’s and Board meeting in afternoon, then we went for a ride.  He was in a pageant at the church in eve.

Monday, June 6, 1949

M.E. went to Scout meeting.  Ray’s mother washed and moved in aft.  We went for a ride and got ice cream cones.  Alan called at 10 p.m. and reported that Ken and Anne have a 8 lb. baby boy and named him Alan Charles Sutton.

Tuesday, June 7, 1949

Mother & Dad D. came over in morning.  Mrs. Yocom stopped in morn. and aft.  Mrs. Godley was here at noon and Mrs. Skibitski called.  We took a ride and got some groceries and cones.

Wednesday, June 8, 1949

Mother and Dad D. were over in morning.  Berdine stopped for a few minutes in morning.  We went for a ride.

Thursday, June 9, 1949

Berdine came in morning and brought Maureen’s white print.  I worked on it until 3:20 p.m.  L.R.’s class had a picnic at Lincoln Park at noon.  Linda and Maureen were invited to a farewell party (picnic) for Judy Phillpott given by Mrs. Skibitski at the lake tonight.  Ray went to choir rehearsal and Aunt Helen came for the evening.

Friday, June 10, 1949

Charles and Carol were out in evening.  Had cheese, crackers, pop and coffee.

Saturday, June 11, 1949

Girls took music lessons.  Berdine fixed L.R.’s hair.  Took a ride in eve.

Sunday, June 12, 1949

Ray took children to S.S. and church.  Then he met Grandma & Grandpa and they took them home for dinner.  Ray and I ate at home.  We took Pat to Christian Endeavor and then picked him up.  Cousin Willis and Mercer [Spaulding] came after we got home.  We got frozen custard at MacArthur & Ash and before we went to bed we had pop and potato chips.

Monday, June 13, 1949

Western Union called for Dad D.  Mother D. called McNutt at Cleveland who told her he was to report for work at Bay City, Mich.  They came over in eve. to say goodbye as leaving early tomorrow morning.  After they left, we drove out to Castor’s Market.  Rained before we returned home.  Berdine fixed my hair.  Leah Jacobs, Merle Perkington and Marge Stone called on me.  Leah brought me a lovely bouquet of roses, delphinium, etc.  M.E. and Pat had picnics this eve.

Tuesday, June 14, 1949

Berdine came this a.m. and we seeded cherries, had lunch together and then I baked two pies – one for us and one for Yocoms.  Went to S.S. class meeting in evening.  Took Marge.

Wednesday, June 15, 1949

Read “The Big Fisherman”.  Talked to Mrs. Vost and Mrs. Becker.  I sat in car parked in front of Becker’s while Ray measured their downspout.  Then we took a short ride.

Thursday, June 16, 1949

Last day of school.  Ed [Cantrall] graduated from Springfield High School tonight.  Ray went to choir rehearsal and we went to Bob’s.

Friday, June 17, 1949

Children went to school at 10 o’clock for report cards.  Quartet met here tonight.  Jane Scattergood and children came, too.  Had a short ride after they left.

Saturday, June 18, 1949

Ray home today.  Girls took their music lessons.  Berdine washed girls’ hair.  Received card from Mother D.  They arrived in Bay City June 15th.  Had to go to Saginaw for an apartment.  Robbie had an attack of appendicitis and was taken to hospital for observation this morning. 

Sunday, June 19, 1949

[Father’s Day] Ray had to work at plant a little while this morning.  Jim started to take girls and Pat to S.S. but car stalled, so I called a taxi.  Ray brought them home afterwards.  Jim gave him a carton of cigarettes, M.E. & L.R. one pound Fannie May candy, and Pat a thermos bottle.  Ray went to church in eve. and Lorene came out to stay with me.

Monday, June 20, 1949

Mr. Lee’s father died last evening.  Ray worked on Becker’s gutters.  Mrs. Becker came over to visit and then Mrs. Vost.  Later we went for a ride.  The girls started to Vacation Bible School today.  Pauline Lynn called on me this aft.  Washed our better things.

Tuesday, June 21, 1949

Robbie had an appendectomy this morning.  Got along fine.  Ray washed tonight.  We went along.  Saw Mrs. Roberts and Vivian Barton there.  Ironed today.  Mr. Diller brought in some wax beans after we went to bed.

Wednesday, June 22, 1949

Ironed today.  Sent 4 cards to Robbie from all of us.  Ray finished Becker’s gutters.

Thursday, June 23, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Children and I stayed at Charles’.

Friday, June 24, 1949

Ray, girls and I drove out to Behl’s to get briefcase containing book, etc., of financial secretary of union as Ray is to take care of same at union meeting Mon. eve.

Saturday, June 25, 1949

Girls took music lessons.  Berdine fixed girls’ hair.  We went out to Bob’s in evening.  Ray fixed new faucet for Bob.  Aunt Helen came and we took her home.  Today is Margaret Baker’s birthday and I gave her a pair of hose.  M. Toulme and H. Cudworth were married this a.m.

Sunday, June 26, 1949

Children and Ray went to S.S.  Girls went to Bob’s.  Pat & Jim came home and Ray stayed for church.  Went out to drive-in and saw “Holiday” starring Kathryn Hepburn, Cary Grant and Lew Ayers.

Monday, June 27, 1949

Ray went to union meeting and Mrs. Vost came over.

Tuesday, June 28, 1949

Mother and Elsie were out in aft.  Aunt Helen came in evening.  Ray had to attend meeting at City Hall.

Wednesday, June 29, 1949

Sent package to Jane [Cantrall] for Mother and enclosed some of L.R.’s outgrown clothes.  Took a little ride and got cones and popsicles.  Wrote a letter to Alice and Wes.

Thursday, June 30, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Pat and girls stayed home with me.  Pat got popsicles and Ray brought Eskimo Pies home.

Friday, July 1, 1949

Girls went to picnic in morning and Ray took them to church tonight for Vacation Bible School program.  Jim stayed home with me and then when Ray came, we went for a ride.  Berdine fixed my hair.  L.R. is broken out – think it’s the heat.

Saturday, July 2, 1949

Girls took their music lessons.  Pauline Baker and 2 ½ yr. old son came for a visit in aft.  Lorene came in eve. for a little while.  Brought me a dress, lipstick, girdle, etc.

Sunday, July 3, 1949

Ray went to church.  Children didn’t go today.  I fried a chicken, baked an apple pie and made 2 bowls of potato salad for picnic at Dan Hagler’s.  We went at 4 o’clock and had a lovely time.  Pat went to church camp today for a week.  Mrs. Baker (?) died at 10 p.m.

Monday, July 4, 1949

Ray worked today.  Jim was off.  We went out to Bob’s in the evening.  Had lots of fireworks.  Also, ice cream.  Mrs. Hagler stepped in a hole in their yard and broke her leg and ankle.

Tuesday, July 5, 1949

Charlotte Hennessey and 2 children here this aft.  Went out to drive-in and saw Jack Carson and Dennis Morgan in “Two Guys in Texas.”  Technicolor.  Kids enjoyed it.

Wednesday, July 6, 1949

Mrs. Baker buried today.  Margaret called about a potluck supper next Wed. night.  Ray took wash to laundromat in morning and stopped by on way home from work to pick it up.  We took Mom out to church camp to take Pat’s clean clothes.

Thursday, July 7, 1949

Berdine came up and stayed for lunch.  We worked on her dress.  We went with Ray to choir rehearsal.  Stopped at Lorene’s and left her birthday gift (pattern marker).  Saw Cousins Willis and Mary, too.  We stayed in the car at church.  Saw some of the girls.

Friday, July 8, 1949

I worked on Berdine’s dress and she ironed for me.  It’s all done except a little hand work.  Aunt Helen came and brought me a house dress and dress; also a dress from Mother.  Ray got 1 quart butter pecan ice cream.  L.R. has chicken pox.  Berdine took M.E. out to Marge’s and she gave her a “Toni” today.  Ray brought her home on way from work.

Saturday, July 9, 1949

Girls didn’t take music lessons as L.R. is covered with “pox” and M.E. didn’t know her lesson.  We were invited out to Gussie’s but declined on account of L.R.  Pat came home from church camp this morning.

Sunday, July 10, 1949

Ray went to S.S.  He and Pat went to church.  Ray sang with quartet at Church of God tonight.

Monday, July 11, 1949

Berdine fixed my hair today.  Got L.R. a midriff blouse.  Ray went to a union meeting tonight.  L.R. still feels punk and still “broken out.”

Tuesday, July 12, 1949

Bob stopped in for a few minutes.  Margaret Baker planned a birthday dinner in my honor at Diller’s tonight.  Among those present were M. Baker, Mrs. Baker, Berdine, Mr. Yocom, Maureen, Bob, Marge, Robbie, Mother, Lorene, Mrs. Hanson, Pauline, Rodney, Courtney, V. Pelham and daughter Marie Sommers, Helen Priest, Wilna Sanders, Charles Kaiser, Aunt Helen, Mr. Diller, Ray, Pat, M.E., L.R., Jim and myself.  Served ham on buns, potato salad, baked beans, relishes, slaw, potato chips, ice cream, cake, coffee & tea.

Wednesday, July 13, 1949

Dr. Romence called advising he’d received a letter from Kabot-Kaiser Institute re appointment for Monday at 1 p.m.  Ray sang at Old Ladies Home.

Thursday, July 14, 1949

Mother came out to help me pack.  Pat went to Aunt Helen’s for supper.  L.R. and M.E. went to Yocom’s to stay before supper.  Bob came out after supper, also Aunt Helen, Lorene and Cousin Willis.  Mrs. Yocom and girls came too to say goodbye.  Ray got 4 new tires and tubes; also had to go to Campbell’s after supper to have bearings tightened.  Wrote letter to Mother D. and received card and $5.00 from her.

Friday, July 15, 1949

Left for Washington, D.C. at 5:50 a.m.  Arrived in Columbus, Ohio at 3:30 p.m.  A little tired.  Ray brought my supper – sandwiches, french fried potatoes and drink.  Cloudy this morning and not too hot.  Indiana looks a lot like Illinois but more hilly in spots.

Saturday, July 16, 1949

Left Columbus, Ohio, at 5 a.m., but lost an hour due to EST.  Arrived in Gaithersburg, 10 miles west of Washington, D.C. city limits at 6 p.m. EST.  Not as tired as last night.  Passed through some beautiful mountain country.  Ray brought my supper from place ½ mile up the road.  Very good.  Roast beef sandwich, mashed potatoes & gravy, and drink.  Cloudy part of the day.  Eastern Ohio very hilly and beautiful.  Do not care for Pittsburgh.  West Virginia and Maryland very beautiful.  Rode on Pennsylvania Turnpike 97 miles - cost 90 cents.

Sunday, July 17, 1949

Rained a little this morning.  Ray’s gone ½ mile up the road for our breakfast.  Went out in late afternoon and drove to Washington, D.C.  Located Kabot-Kaiser Institute.  Ate supper at “Hot Shoppe”.  Delicious barbeques, malted milk and french fries.  Ray got our dinner at Rockville.  I ate it in cabin.

Monday, July 18, 1949

Got breakfast at “All States Inn”.  Heavy rain last night and ruined their floors.  Drove all over Washington, D.C., saw Capitol, White House, Washington Monument, etc.  Went through Clinic 1-5 p.m.  Very nice, but didn’t get to see Dr. Callicet.  Ate supper at “Hot Shoppe” in Rockville.

Tuesday, July 19, 1949

Left Shipley’s Cabin at 8 a.m.  Ate breakfast in Bethesda, Maryland.  Ate lunch in Romney, West Virginia, and supper at Parkersburg, W. Va.  I never saw so many mountains as there are in Va. and W. Va.  Very majestic.  So many people in mountains.

Wednesday, July 20, 1949

Left Moore’s Motel at 9 a.m.  Stopped in Parkersburg for gifts to take home.  Shirt for Pat and play suits for girls at Penney’s.  Stopped in Columbus to see Wm. Raymond.  Ray talked to his wife but she said he left town that afternoon.  We stopped at a nice “motel” near Indianapolis (Cumberland) named “Hoosierland Tourist Court.”  Fine cabin.  Got supper at roadside place and then went to see Uncle Walter.  He’s well but lives in such a curious place.  Talked for 1 ½ hrs. and then went back to cabin.

Thursday, July 21, 1949

Left Hoosierland Tourist Court about 9:30 and had breakfast at Hume.  Nicest and best on trip.  Ray stopped in Irvington for haircut, $1.00.  Also got some things for girls at Woolworth’s nearby.  Left Indianapolis around noon.  Had lunch at Hume.  Stopped at Penney’s in Decatur for slip for Mrs. Yocom.  Got home about 4:30 p.m.  Children came running.  Pat stayed at Aunt Helen’s again and girls went out to Loraine Chiles’.  We had supper and went to bed at 9 o’clock.

Friday, July 22, 1949

Jim’s vacation started yesterday.  Pat came home this morning.  Berdine and Maureen stopped in for a few minutes this afternoon.  Ray and Jim bought a motor mower.  Ray went after girls in late afternoon.  We gave them the things we brought.  Carol and Charles were out in evening.  She brought each a book from Chicago.  We had light refreshments and they went home on bus about 10:30.

Saturday, July 23, 1949

Baked a cake and blackberry pie.  Mother went down to Aunt Georgia’s with Bob yesterday for a little visit.  Jim left this aft. for Chicago with Herb Jones.  Ray finished cutting grass and yard looks like a park.

Sunday, July 24, 1949

Ray and children didn’t attend S.S. and church today.  We celebrated Ray’s birthday at noon.  He worked on shed all day.  Aunt Helen called that she could come this eve. but told her we planned to go to drive-in tonight to see Bing Crosby in “Pennies from Heaven.”  However, backed out and stayed home instead.

Monday, July 25, 1949

Ray took washing out this morning and we went after it in evening.  Wrote to Mother D.  Lorene dropped by for a few minutes when we got home.  Ironed girls’ things that Mrs. Yocom washed. 

Tuesday, July 26, 1949

Aunt Helen came out this evening.  Ray worked on shed all day and evening.  I ironed unstarched pieces.

Wednesday, July 27, 1949

City quarantined on account of polio epidemic.  All pools closed, etc.  17 city cases and 2 deaths so far.  Quartet met here tonight to practice for performance some Sunday morning next month.  Served root beer and pretzels.   A Mr. Whitworth stopped in a little while this aft. to inquire about Washington, D.C. as his wife has M.S.   Starched clothes this morning.

Thursday, July 28, 1949

Jim went back to work today.  Ray painted shed.  Letter from Mother D.  Ironed half the starched clothes.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Children and I sat on porch until he came home with popsicles.

Friday, July 29, 1949

Ray painted railing on porch.  We went for a ride in evening.  Stopped at “Bee’s” for malted milks and Aunt Helen’s for tomatoes.  Finished ironing starched pieces.

Saturday, July 30, 1949

Ray went to town to pay bills and shop.  Aunt Helen sent 2 bottles of bubble stuff for girls.  Cousins Willis and Mary and Lorene came in eve.  They brought 9 gladiolus, sack of tomatoes and one of corn from Geraldine & Mercer [Spaulding].  Mrs. McCoy called in afternoon.  I made 3 apple pies and 2 quarts canned apples with apples from Willsons.

Sunday, July 31, 1949

Ray’s vacation is over.  He’s working 8 to 4 today.  Taking Madden’s place.  Truman Bryant came at suppertime and talked about “Divine Healing” and left a book on the subject.  He offered a prayer on my behalf and asked if I would attend their church Wednesday eve. as they were conducting a “Healing service” and he was in charge.  Started the book tonight.  Cut out M.E.’s dress (gray & rose).

Monday, August 1, 1949

Ray worked 8 to 4 p.m.  Two women were here this morning from the “Latter Day Saints” for an hour.  I used the apartment washing machine and washed enough of our better clothes to fill clothesline.  Finished book on “Divine Healing” this morning before children arose.  Jim was out all night and didn’t go to work today.  Went over to Aunt Helen’s in eve.

Tuesday, August 2, 1949

Rev. Plank and T. Bryant were out about 7 p.m.  Plank explained “Divine Healing” and offered a prayer.  Lorene came out later and set my hair.  Ray went to a meeting at City Hall.

Wednesday, August 3, 1949

Went to special healing service at Church of God.  Children stayed at Diller’s.

Friday, August 5, 1949

Ray washed tonight.

Saturday, August 6, 1949

Bob called.

Sunday, August 7, 1949

Ray went to church and brought Mother home from Suttons.  He went to a board meeting and took her home at 6 o’clock.  Aunt Helen came in eve. and Ray went to work at midnight.

Monday, August 8, 1949

Frances Jordan came this eve.  Mrs. Goldsby came over, too.

Tuesday, August 9, 1949

Received letter from Mother D.  Two men from Church of God and Mr. Plank, Charlie Weaver and Ray practiced for Sun. eve. at their church.  Mrs. Goldsby came over and asked me to call Nell Setina about having cement steps made.  Ordered pattern for L.R.  Ironed more than half the clothes.

Wednesday, August 10, 1949

Ordered material for L.R.’s dress (green plaid) from Spiegel’s.  Nell Setina and husband were here this eve.  He gave Mrs. Goldsby a figure on steps and got the job.  Later, T. Bryant and Rev. Williams (an evangelist) called and explained “Divine Healing” more fully and anointed me again.  Ray went to a meeting at City Hall.  I’m still working on M.E.’s dress.  Finished ironing this a.m.

Thursday, August 11, 1949

Ray worked 4-12.  Lorene came out in eve.

Friday, August 12, 1949

Ray worked 4-12.  Berdine stopped by with green plaid she picked up at Spiegel’s for L.R.  Today is her mother’s birthday and she was on her way there.  Lorene came out in morn.  She washed both girls’ hair and set M.E.’s.  Jim works at 4:30 p.m. on during fair.  Fair started today.

Saturday, August 13, 1949

Ray home today.  We went for a ride in eve. and got groceries.  Also rode around fair grounds but couldn’t see much.

Sunday, August 14, 1949

Ray went to church this morning.  He’s singing at Church of God tonight.

Monday, August 15, 1949

Ray is back on day shift.  We went for a little ride in eve. and got cones.  Went through entire fair grounds and saw about everything.  Not many there.

Tuesday, August 16, 1949

Our 8th wedding anniversary.  Mrs. Vost came over in eve.  After she left, we took a ride and got cones and popcorn.  Berdine washed and set my hair.

Wednesday, August 17, 1949

Berdine got girls skates at Sears. $3.65 ea.  We got those to take the place of going to fair.  Mom came back this p.m. to stay.  Ray brought me a 2 lb. box of Fannie  May’s.  A belated wedding anniversary gift as yesterday was Springfield Day and everything was closed.  He washed this eve. and brought us Eskimo Pies.

Thursday, August 18, 1949

Quartet was to meet here tonight but Roy Coy [church organist] asked them to come to church instead.  L.R.’s pattern for green plaid came today.

Friday, August 19, 1949

Ray is supposed to be off today but boss called him back to work at 10 a.m.  I cut out L.R.’s green plaid today.  Lorene came out in afternoon.

Saturday, August 20, 1949

Ray started Buedel’s shift today, 4 p.m. to midnight.  Lorene came out for a few minutes and brought yarn.  Olwen Leach and Aunt Helen came in aft.  Pat bought a Bingo game today and we played that.  I worked on L.R.’s green plaid.  Carol, Alan and Charles came out to see Olwen and took her and Aunt Helen over to Diller’s.  Olwen gave me two lovely hankies.

Sunday, August 21, 1949

Ray went to church this morning.  Quartet sang.  Pat went to work with Ray, 4 to 12 midnight.  I played Bingo with the girls after supper.  Last day of the State Fair and polio quarantine is still on.

Monday, August 22, 1949

Ray worked from 4 to midnight.  Aunt Helen came over in eve.  Worked on L.R.’s green plaid.  Mother went out to Carol’s this morning.

Tuesday, August 23, 1949

Polio quarantine is to be lifted at midnight.  Margaret Troy called.  Ray went to work 8-4 p.m. so he could attend a fish fry at Shuster’s.  Lorene came in eve.  Worked on L.R.’s green plaid.

Wednesday, August 24, 1949

Ray in auto accident at 12:30 a.m.  Hospital (St. John’s) called.  Jim went down.  Came home to bring wallet, car keys and watch.  Said he had a head injury.  Jim went to hospital at 8 a.m.  Dr. called at 11 a.m.  Rev. Plank saw Ray in aft. and then came out here.  He said he felt much better and Dr. thought he could come home tomorrow.  Took x-ray this afternoon.  Lorene, Marshall & Nellie Long were out in eve.  X-ray showed no fracture.  Ray felt much better.  Jim went down while Longs were here.

Thursday, August 25, 1949

Mr. Garman brought Ray home at 3 p.m.  Mr. and Mrs. Willis Spaulding were out in evening, also Aunt Helen.  Loraine Chiles was here in aft. and brought tomatoes and roasting ears.  M.E. went out to Carol’s this morning for a couple days.

Friday, August 26, 1949

Mrs. Godley was here this a.m.  Cousin Willis came for a few minutes and brought sack of apples.  Mr. Campbell called and said repairs on car would be $615.  Ray decided to get another car.  Charles, Carol and M.E. were out in eve.  Jim was picked up with Herb Jones early this a.m. by police for speeding.  Ray went down in afternoon and paid his bail.

Saturday, August 27, 1949

Sent gift and letter to Mother D.  Ray got a 1947 Chevrolet this morning.  Decided to sell old car for junk.  He went to work at 4 p.m.  Carol brought M.E. home.  John and Margaret Troy picked up children at 5 p.m. and took them to lake for steak fry.  They dropped off Pat at filter plant later and took girls to drive-in.  Charles came for Carol and they stayed for supper.  Nellie Setina and husband here later and brought tile for sink.  He was to start on it Monday but said there’d be a delay.  Margaret gave M.E. green chambray dress and school supplies for all 3.

Sunday, August 28, 1949

No one went to S.S. today.  Ray and Pat left for filter plant at 4 p.m.  Carol and Charles came in aft.  Eileen, Junior, and baby here too.  L.R. went home with Carol for a couple days.  Ray took an apple pie to Don Hagler.  His dad sent us 3 doz. eggs last night.

Monday, August 29, 1949

Berdine sent sack of peaches so I made a cobbler.  Mrs. Goldsby did some washing for us.  I sent them some cobbler.  Ray worked 4-12.  Mother and Aunt Helen went with Uncle Rob to Bloomington this p.m. in his 1948 Dodge he just bought.  Mother got home about 6 p.m.  Lorene was out tonight.

Tuesday, August 30, 1949

Ray cut grass on vacant lot this morning.  Went to work from 4-12.  I worked on L.R.’s green plaid.

Wednesday, August 31, 1949

Ray got tires exchanged from old to new car.  Also bought another tire and 2 tubes as Sears replaced damaged tire with a new one.  Mrs. Garman brought Donna’s p.j.’s to show me.  Carol, Alan and Charles brought Linda Rae home.  This is Ray’s last night to work for Carl Buedel.

Thursday, September 1, 1949

Ray worked 8 to 4 today.  Went to drive-in to see Walt Disney’s “So Dear to My Heart.”  Very good.  We all enjoyed it.

Friday, September 2, 1949

Received letter from Ray’s mother.  Finished L.R.’s green plaid.  Went to Sutton’s in eve.  Had a nice time.  Ray worked 8-4 (time and a half).

Saturday, September 3, 1949

Ray home today.  Got check from “Dal” for tires.  He went to quartet practice at church and we went to Diller’s.  Aunt Helen served watermelon and gave us a small one to bring home.  Mr. Setina started work on sink.  Berdine stopped by and I gave her order for curtains from Sears.

Sunday, September 4, 1949

Ray went to S.S. and church but children didn’t go for various reasons.  He also attended board meeting in aft.  We went for a ride in eve. and went to bed at 8 o’clock.  Charles Weaver and family called at suppertime.  Berdine shampooed my hair & set it.

Monday, September 5, 1949

Mrs. Goldsby did some washing for us.  We were all ready to go to fish fry at Lake Springfield Christian Assembly camp but Ray came home sick so called it off.  Children and I played Bingo.  I gave them “prizes” and we had ice cream.  All in bed by 9 o’clock.

Tuesday, September 6, 1949

First day of school M.E. wore gray & red stripe and L.R. green plaid.  Both looked mighty sweet.  Maureen looked lovely in purple plaid and Berdine took their picture.  Mr. Setina finished sink today.  Ray still feels punk but went to work.  Aunt Helen stopped for half an hour and left check.  Mrs. Godley was here in afternoon.

Wednesday, September 7, 1949

Mrs. Godley was here in aft.  Ray went to tent meeting.  Aunt Helen came for the evening.  The Hermans are back.

Thursday, September 8, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.

Friday, September 9, 1949

Ray took wash in morning and we went out in eve. to pick it up.

Saturday, September 10, 1949

Lorene, Mr. & Mrs. W.J. Spaulding out in eve.  L.R. went to Rock Island with Mother, Carol and Alan.  Ray worked 4-12 for Hagler.

Sunday, September 11, 1949

Ray went to church.  Junior and Eileen brought 4 chickens, $3.00.  Pat and M.E. went to Riverton in aft. with Marge.  Lorene and Katie here for a few minutes.  Mother and L.R. got home about 7:30 p.m.  Ray and Pat went out to Sutton’s later to get play suit for M.E. for gym.

Monday, September 12, 1949

Berdine fixed my hair.  Frank and Nellie Setina came.  He put in two missing pieces on sink and Ray paid him.  He went to Stanfield’s earlier in eve. and he misunderstood some of my instructions on room.  Hall, kitchen change and room, too, very expensive so he’s going to refigure room alone, size 12 x 14.  Received letter from Mother D.

Tuesday, September 13, 1949

Went to class meeting at Wilma MacDonald’s.  Had a very good time.  We took Frances Jordan and brought her and Velma home.

Wednesday, September 14, 1949

Mr. Stanfield came and quoted price $1,700 on 12 x 16 room which we accepted and told him to start work.  Jim started wk. vacation.  Went to Missouri.

Thursday, September 15, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.

Friday, September 16, 1949

Aunt Helen came in aft. and stayed all night.  We went to Suttons in eve.  Jim got back this morning.

Saturday, September 17, 1949

Ray painted railing.  M.E. went to town with Margaret Troy, and L.R. went with Yocoms.  Willsons came in eve. in their new car.

Sunday, September 18, 1949

Ray and girls went to S.S. and church.  Boys just S.S.  Went for a ride in aft.  Stayed home in eve. and listened to radio.

Monday, September 19, 1949

Started new room.  Dug ditch and poured concrete for footings.  Joe Miller came out in morning and evening to see about changing elec. wires and meter.  Berdine called about meeting tomorrow night for Brownie troop at Skibitski’s.  Telegram from Kabot-Kaiser.  Called Lorene and W.J. called me.  Decided against going.  Ray went to Lodge meeting.  He’s about sick with a cold.  Wrote Mother D.

Tuesday, September 20, 1949

Berdine washed and set my hair.  Barker-Goldman-Lubin brought load of lumber.  Margaret Troy called.  Went to committee meeting for Brownies at Mrs. Skibitski’s.  Had a nice time.  Wrote letter to Washington, D.C., cancelling reservation.

Wednesday, September 21, 1949

Stayed home and listened to Bing Crosby’s first program.  Mrs. Yocom sent away for favors for L.R.’s birthday party.

Thursday, September 22, 1949

Mr. Stanfield laid sub-floor and put up joists and beams.  Ray got 12 doz. eggs from Hagler for 49 cents doz.  Got curtains back from Schmitt’s.  Also washed bathroom, kitchen and back bedroom curtains.  Lorene and Katie came and brought 2 pecks apples from Geraldine and squash from Minnesota.  Ray got things from Melfrances–20 pr. socks, 2 skirts and 2 dresses.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.

Friday, September 23, 1949

Ray washed and waxed kitchen floor.  I ironed curtains for bedroom & bathroom.

Saturday, September 24, 1949

Ray moved electric stove.  Berdine got invitations and washed girls’ hair.  I ironed curtains for upstairs and kitchen.  They’ve all been hung except kitchen.  Ray got favors at Sears today for L.R.’s party.

Sunday, September 25, 1949

Pat, M.E., L.R. went to S.S. and church with Ray.  He washed kitchen walls and ceiling.  Went to Aunt Helen’s for a few minutes and girls picked flowers.  Pat went to show and Jim to the races.  Wrote letter to Mother D. and L.R.’s birthday party invitations.  Ray and Pat went to church in eve.  Pat left early for Christian Endeavor.  Nightstand came from Margaret Troy.

Monday, September 26, 1949

Stanfield and 2 men working on room.  Junior came early with 4 doz eggs @ 35 cents doz.

Tuesday, September 27, 1949

Quartet sang at tent meeting.  Mr. and Mrs. Bryant here for a little while.  Aunt Helen came later.  Lorene and Katie came before she left and brought some things for M.E.  Ray painted part of room (exterior).

Wednesday, September 28, 1949

Ray came home early and painted more of the exterior of new room.  I was going to class wiener roast but backed out.  Ray had to “serve” at tent meeting.

Thursday, September 29, 1949

Choir sang at tent meeting.  Ray brought some candy (miniature Clark bars) home.  Mrs. Skibitski came for a little while in aft. and brought little son.

Friday, September 30, 1949

Mrs. Becker came in aft. and brought Brian.  He’s 6 mos. old and a darling.  She offered to bake a cake [for L.R.’s party].  Carol came out after supper and stayed all night.  Ray is about sick with a cold and we all stayed home in eve.  Berdine got things for L.R.’s party; also 3 pr. curtains for new room, $1.00 ea.  Phyllis Westerfield is to be married tomorrow aft.  Plasterers put on ground coat.

Saturday, October 1, 1949

L.R.’s birthday party today.  10 children came.  Mrs. Becker baked a lovely cake.  Berdine helped serve and Carol took care of games.  Ray took pictures.  A big success!  Margaret Troy sent a hat and pocketbook.  Ray washed today.  Aunt Helen was coming but was sick.  Eileen, Junior and Jane came in eve.  Phyllis married today.

Sunday, October 2, 1949

Girls and Ray went to S.S. and church.  He went to board meeting in aft.  Pat went to a show.  We were all home in eve. except Pat.  I shortened L.R.’s Brownie dress.

Monday, October 3, 1949

Finished hem and pressed Brownie dress.  Jim didn’t go to work today and worked on car.  Called Mrs. Skibitski, Mrs. Becker and Margaret Troy.  Margaret [Baker]’s office moved today.

Tuesday, October 4, 1949

L.R.’s [7th] birthday.  She wore her Brownie dress to school.  Plasterers finished room.  Peach and blue – pretty!  Aunt Helen came for a few minutes.  Lorene and Mother came later.  Cousin Willis was here in morn. and brought 1 peck apples.  He has a new Dodge.  L.R. received pair houseslippers from Aunt Helen and both girls received lamps from Lorene.  She took one back to exchange for mirror as they already had 2.

Wednesday, October 5, 1949

Bedspreads came from Margaret Troy.  Ray did a little plumbing job.

Thursday, October 6, 1949

Berdine shampooed and curled my hair this a.m.  Canned 2 quarts pear pickles.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Vanity and bench here at Montgomery Ward.  Lorene called about mirror for M.E.

Friday, October 7, 1949

Made blouse for L.R. out of broadcloth shirt.  Berdine stopped for a few min. in aft.  M. Troy brought some pears and things for children in eve.  Charles and Carol came, too.

Saturday, October 8, 1949

Made sweet pear pickles.  Went out to Gus and Russell’s in eve.  Had a very nice time.

Sunday, October 9, 1949

Ray and girls went to S.S. and church.  Boys just S.S.  Went for a drive in aft. to Aunt Georgia’s ; also stopped by Iva’s.  Stopped at Aunt Helen’s and brought her home for supper.  Ray sang at Church of God.

Tuesday, October 11, 1949

Received letter from Evie [Wells] advising 1st or 2nd Sun. in November would be o.k. for us to come to her home for dinner.  Went to S.S. class meeting at Rosalie Thompson’s in eve.  Ray went to first bean supper at church.  Worked on Carol’s corduroy jumper.

Wednesday, October 12, 1949

Ray had to go to work at midnight tonight.  We listened to Bing and other programs on the radio.  Worked on Carol’s jumper.

Thursday, October 13, 1949

Ray slept until 2:30 p.m.  I washed a lot of things out by hand.  Mrs. Plank stopped by after school.  Ray went to choir rehearsal and all of us called on the Willsons.  Aunt Helen brought cashier’s check.

Friday, October 14, 1949

Stanfield finished room today.  Elec. fixtures still lacking.  Lorene and Cousins Willis and Mary were out.  Lorene brought M.E. 2 sweaters and me one,  also bedspread for Mother.  L.R. went to birthday party for Norma K. Jordan tonight 6-8 p.m.  Maureen came back and stayed until her dad came.  Received letter from Mother D.   M. Troy ran in for a few minutes and brought some more shirts.

Saturday, October 15, 1949

Ray paid Stanfield.  He raised the price $100 but I don’t know why.  Electricians installed lights.  Now room is complete.  Ray went to work at midnight but Jim is off tonight.  Ray got 2 pecks apples from Spauldings.

Sunday, October 16, 1949

Ray took M.E., Pat and L.R. to S.S.  We had our main meal at 5 o’clock.  Pat went with C.E. group to sing at Old Folks Home and chilli supper at church.  Ray had to unstop sewer in the evening.

Monday, October 17, 1949

Ray started painting interior of new room.  Curtis, Virginia and Aunt Helen here in aft.  Carol, Alan and Anne Bart here in eve.  I finished Carol’s jumper and she wore it home because Curtis and Virginia were out there.  M.E. and Pat attended their Scout meetings.  Ray contacted Stanfield and told him he overcharged $100.

Tuesday, October 18, 1949

L.R. went to Brownie meeting.  Made blouse for M.E. out of a blue shirt of John Troy’s.  Ray painted and varnished room.

Wednesday, October 19, 1949

Berdine stopped in for a few minutes.  L.R. in program at PTA.  Wrote letters to Alice, Geraldine and Mother D.  Received card from Aunt Fannie re Laura Frances’ baby, weight 10 lbs. 6 oz., 10/17/49, and named Becky Lee.  M. Troy stopped for a minute to leave a basket of pears.  Jim got up long enough to eat and run down to bank to make a payment about 1 p.m.  Ray painted bedroom.

Thursday, October 20, 1949

L.R. home today with a cold.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.

Friday, October 21, 1949

Today should have been Ray’s day off but was called back to work at 12:30 p.m. as Lazar had an attack of appendicitis.  He worked on new room in morn. & eve.

Saturday, October 22, 1949

Ray finished painting new bedroom, dressing table, stool & nightstand.  Lorene and Katie came in eve. and brought M.E. a billfold and L.R. a comb & brush and pr. anklets.  Ray worked 4-12.  Washed L.R.’s and M.E.’s hair.

Sunday, October 23, 1949

Ray, Pat, M.E. and L.R. attended S.S. and church.  Ray laid linoleum in new bedroom.  Berdine fixed my hair.  Ray went to church in eve.  Pat went to C.E. and was Leader.  Aunt Helen came.  Eileen and Junior have a baby boy born 6 a.m., named James Lee, 7 lbs. 6 oz.

Monday, October 24, 1949

M.E.’s birthday.  Had party in eve.  Guests: Gus, Russell, Carol, Charles, M. Troy, Berdine, Cecil, Maureen and Aunt Helen.  Girls slept in new bedroom for the first time.  Mrs. Becker baked a cake for M.E.  Gifts: 1 pr. panties & 2 pr. anklets from Gus & Russell; 3 pr. panties from Aunt Helen; Story book doll from Carol; box of cookies from Charles; 2 pr. jeans & lamp from the Yocoms; Mirror & billfold from Lorene; Dressing table & bench from Ray & me; ½ interest in radio from Grandma Cantrall; Hat, purse, bedspread & nightstand from Troys; $5.00 from Grandma Durst; game from L.R.

Tuesday, October 25, 1949

Operators’ convention starts today and Ray also has to attend bean supper tonight.  Mr. Yocom hurt his back this morn.  Katie, Lorene and Mrs. Hanson were out this eve.  L.R.’s Brownie troop went to park in aft.

Wednesday, October 26, 1949

Mrs. Godley came back Mon. morn. and came here this aft.  Ray fixed shades in girls’ room.  We listened to radio.  I called Mrs. Skibitski about $1.00 for committee members.  Lorene called about chest of drawers for girls.

Thursday, October 27, 1949

Mrs. Garman came over to inquire about Halloween party at school Monday.  Lorene called about chest in morn. & eve.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  We listened to radio and I darned socks.  Received letter from Ray’s mother.  Mother owes $1.00 for Alka Seltzer.

Friday, October 28, 1949

Received letter from Alice.  Lorene ordered chest but it won’t be delivered until Sat.  Made L.R. a blouse from one of Johnny Troy’s shirts.  Listened to radio in eve.  Ray took washing this a.m. and picked it up on way home from work.  He stayed home tonight.

Saturday, October 29, 1949

Chest came this p.m. and it’s a beauty ($56.05).  Mrs. Goldsby came over to see room.  Junior came and showed us his Watkins Products.  I gave him an order and also Mother and I got a box of Xmas cards each.

Sunday, October 30, 1949

Ray and girls went to S.S. and church.  Boys didn’t stay for church.  Pat went to a show in aft. and we drove to Taylorville to see Evie [Wells] and family.  Ray stayed home in eve. and we listened to radio.

Monday, October 31, 1949

L.R. took Halloween costume to school.  Received card from Mother D. saying they were leaving Saginaw Wed. morning to come here.  Mrs. Godley here in aft.  Mrs. Yocom took girls to Halloween party at school tonight.  Ray and Pat stayed home and listened to radio.  Maureen home sick today.

Tuesday, November 1, 1949

Maureen home again today.  L.R. furnished “nibbles” for Brownies.  She went home with Martha Skibitski and Ray picked her up on way home from work.  He varnished closet in girls’ room and went to choir rehearsal which was changed to tonight because of “Preachers Rally” last of week.  Lorene and Katie came out.  Lorene gave girls scarves for chest of drawers and dressing table.  W.J.S. sent peck of Jonathan apples.  Men cutting trees at Yocom’s and Godley’s.

Wednesday, November 2, 1949

Maureen went to school today.  Berdine stopped by and left material for Maureen’s corduroy jumper.  Katie came out and cut my hair.  M. Troy came out and brought M.E.’s coat and pr. mittens for each girl.  Ray’s mother and dad got in Springfield this p.m.

Thursday, November 3, 1949

Berdine gave me a Toni.  Ray’s mother and dad came over in aft.  First we knew they were in town.  Elsie came out in aft.  Mother & Dad stayed for supper.

Friday, November 4, 1949

Cut out Maureen’s jumper.  Pat went to a show.

Saturday, November 5, 1949

Cousin Willis called in eve. on phone.  Junior brought Watkins Products I ordered.  Ray put up storm sash.  He took girls in eve. to get groceries.  We listened to radio.

Sunday, November 6, 1949

Ray, Pat, M.E., L.R., Mother and I drove over to Taylorville to spend the day with Evelyn Wells and family.  We had a lovely dinner.  Mother went to see Aunt Fannie and we stopped there for a few minutes when we picked up Mother.  We were all too full to eat any supper.  Ray went to church and I listened to radio.

Monday, November 7, 1949

Ray went out to Hagler’s to connect washing machine.  He received $4.00 and stopped by Producer’s Dairy and got some “Drumsticks”.  Worked on Maureen’s jumper.

Tuesday, November 8, 1949

Mrs. Godley and Mother Durst here this aft.  Went to S.S. class meeting at Katherine Gathard’s.

Wednesday, November 9, 1949

Received girls’ apron pattern.  Ray took girls over to Mother Durst’s.  Cousin Willis was out.  Received card from Alice telling us to come Sat.  Also, Alice Jean named baby Lloyd James.  Ray took laundry this morning & picked it up on way home.

Thursday, November 10, 1949

Finished Maureen’s jumper.  Ordered some things from Sears & M.W.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Mrs. Godley dropped in for a few minutes this eve.  Ray bought a 24 piece set of dishes for $l.00 from G&E today.

Saturday, November 12, 1949

Left at 7 a.m. for Rock Island.  Arrived around 11 a.m.  Nice weather until near Rock Island when it started to rain.  Stopped long enough for us to get in house.  Alice Jean and baby were there for lunch.  Ray went after them and took them home.

Sunday, November 13, 1949

Ray and Wes took children in Wes’ car to Alice Jean’s to return her key.  Started to rain around noon.  Ray finished roll of film in morn.  We left at 1:30 p.m. and arrived home at 5:20 just ahead of storm.  Aunt Helen stayed last night with Mother.  Magda came out in aft., also Eileen, Junior and children.  Betty Hagler brought 12 doz. eggs at 35 cents.

Monday, November 14, 1949

Rested up from trip and went to bed early.

Tuesday, November 15, 1949

Ray went out to Rifler’s to practice with mixed quartet for U&I program Thurs.

Wednesday, November 16, 1949

Tonight is Father’s Night at Ridgely School.  Ray and children went.

Thursday, November 17, 1949

Ray went to U&I potluck.  He sang in mixed quartet.  Alyda Law and Aunt Helen came out this aft.  Berdine stopped in to show prizes for Maureen’s birthday party.

Friday, November 18, 1949

Ray went to Dr. Ranker about his eyes.  Mother D. is getting him glasses for Christmas.  I called Lorene and asked her to send us some cards to send W.J. for his birthday.  M. Troy took girls to circus this aft.

Saturday, November 19, 1949

Finished aprons for Maureen.  Went to her birthday party in aft.  She liked aprons and jumper very much.  Berdine’s mother, sisters and 4 nieces were there.  We had a nice time.  Ray had to go to work at midnight tonight as Major Bray is taking 2nd week of vacation.  Cards Lorene sent didn’t arrive today.  Dad and Mother D. came early this morn.  She gave Ray $15.00 towards glasses.

Sunday, November 20, 1949

Ray took children to S.S. then went to bed until 5 p.m.  Evie Wells came at 1 p.m. and stayed until 5:30.  Bill [Wells] and their girls went to circus.  We went to Elsie Hangslieben’s.  Took Aunt Helen.   Charles and Carol were there.  We had a really nice time.  She served luscious pumpkin pie with whipped cream, coffee, and milk for the children.  Pat went to church at 3:30 and we picked him up at 7:30 p.m.

Monday, November 21, 1949

Cousin Willis’ birthday.  Cards Lorene sent to send him didn’t come until afternoon mail.  We sent some we had in morning mail.  Ray painted some more on kitchen.

Tuesday, November 22, 1949

Uncle Rob called and asked Mother to send envelopes delayed in mail to him.  Ray and Pat went to bean supper.  Ray’s mother and father were here in aft.  Left $10.00 for balance on Ray’s glasses.

Wednesday, November 23, 1949

Minnie sent turkey from Food Center.  Weighed 12 1/4 lbs. dressed.  Ray’s mother called from town.  Ray painted some on kitchen.

Thursday, November 24, 1949

[Thanksgiving] Ray worked today.  Had dinner at 5:30 p.m.  Doc & Minnie, Dad and Mother D. were here.  Had a lovely meal and time.  Marshall and Nellie Long and son were injured in auto accident today at Capitol Airport.  All hospitalized.

Friday, November 25, 1949

Mother D. took girls to town and got them Scout oxfords $6.63 pr.  Also got their lunch and took them to see Shirley Temple [movie].  Ray home today.  Mother D. left pocketbook in Doc’s car last night and went out this a.m. to get it.  Ray took his glasses down to be exchanged for bifocals.

Saturday, November 26, 1949

Ray stayed in bed til noon on account of a cold.  I washed a lot of things.  We listened to radio in eve.

Sunday, November 27, 1949

Ray and children didn’t go to S.S. or church.  He stayed in bed part of the day.  Pat went to a show and then C.E.  Aunt Helen came in eve.  Berdine called and said Maureen has chicken pox and children will have to walk to school.

Monday, November 28, 1949

Mother called Lorene and she said W.J. and Mary got back from her sister’s Sat. eve.  Fred [Spaulding] came for Thanksgiving and took them in his car.  She also called Berdine and she still thinks Maureen has chicken pox.  Ray went to union meeting long enough to pay dues and took clothes to laundromat.  Mother received letter from Betty.

Tuesday, November 29, 1949

L.R. went home with Linda Kay Chestnut and Ray picked her up there.  He got his glasses, too.  Pat went to see “Jolson Sings Again” with Mother D.  Dad was over in aft.  Nellie and Marshall, Jr. went home today.  M. Troy called about Christmas list.  Ray fixed threshold between kitchen, and popped corn and hung up clothes in basement.  He still has quite a bit of cold and coughs a lot.

Wednesday, November 30, 1949

We took a ride downtown to see Christmas decorations.  Stopped by Aunt Helen’s to pick up Mom’s hairnets.  Got home in time to hear Groucho Marx and Bing Crosby.

Thursday, December 1, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Dropped girls and Mother D. downtown to see Santa Claus Parade.  It’s quite cold tonight and they came home about frozen.  I called Nellie Long about their accident.  Ray brought frozen fudge bars.

Friday, December 2, 1949

Ray went to see his mother and father for a little while in eve.  He brought popsicles home.

Saturday, December 3, 1949

Ray picked up Sears package.  Went to Watts in eve. and got me a 12 cc bottle of liver extract.  Also brought ice cream home and peanuts and Pat made chocolate syrup.  Yummy!  Girls went to Mother D.’s for lunch and she took them to Pantheon [movie theater].  Came home in rain and L.R. crying because of rain and ice cream on her coat.

Sunday, December 4, 1949

Ray and girls went to S.S. and church.  Boys went to S.S. only.  Ray went to board meeting in aft. and is taking girls to Pantheon at 4 p.m. to see Judy Garland and Van Johnson in “In the Good Old Summertime”.  Aunt Helen came in eve.  Ray and children liked the show.

Monday, December 5, 1949

Called Minnie about a coat.  Berdine called to see if I was coming to Brownie committee meeting at her house tonight.  Minnie and Doc came about 6 p.m. with a beautiful $68.00 coat.  Haven’t decided if I’ll keep it.  Went to meeting at Berdine’s and had a nice time.  Ray stayed until 9 o’clock and visited with Cecil.  Peacoat and socks from Spiegel’s came.

Tuesday, December 6, 1949

Minnie called and said I could have the coat for $50.00, so I told her I’d take it.

Wednesday, December 7, 1949

Ray’s mother came this aft., also Evelyn Wells.  Evie brought 1 qt. peaches, 1 qt. peach pickles and 1 qt. cherries.

Thursday, December 8, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Lorene and Katie were out.  Ordered record player, note paper, mixed nuts and pillowslips from Sears for Mom and Pat.

Friday, December 9, 1949

Aunt Helen came tonight.  Ray, Jim and Pat went to town in eve. to shop.  Ray got part for machine from Sikkings.  Ordered jacket for Ray and 2 dresses for girls from Sears.

Saturday, December 10, 1949

L.R. went to Toy Shop at A. Lincoln Hotel with Brownies.  M.E. went with Mrs. Meador.  L.R. stayed all night with Maureen.  She stayed here while her mother took the Brownies downtown.  Ray picked up order at Sears.  Addressed Mother’s Christmas cards.

Sunday, December 11, 1949

Ray and children went to S.S.   He and girls stayed for church.  Pat went to a show and then C.E.  Esther Farris brought him home.  She and Harriet came in for a few minutes.  Ray made fudge.  Addressed most of our Christmas cards this aft. & eve.  Ray took a nap in aft.

Monday, December 12, 1949

Washed L.R.’s Brownie outfit for the 1st time.  Also, other dresses, slips, etc. in morn.  Cut out apron for Margaret, and Berdine washed and set my hair in aft.  M.E. went to Scout meeting after school.  Linda Kay Chestnut came home with L.R.  Pat went to Scout meeting and Ray to Masons and union meeting.  He brought home 7 apples and a ham on rye for me which I ate at 11:30 p.m.  I darned socks and basted Margaret’s apron in eve. while I listened to radio.

Tuesday, December 13, 1949

Went to my S.S. class meeting at Esther Farris’.  I got a box of chocolate covered cherries from grab bag.  Ray went to bean supper.

Wednesday, December 14, 1949

Ray went to Scattergood’s for quartet practice.  He helped me make 2 batches of peanut brittle beforehand.

Thursday, December 15, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.  I made caramels this morn.  Ray took clothes to laundromat.

Friday, December 16, 1949

Ray sent cards and package to Ken and one to Rock Island.  Evie, Bill & girls and a couple friends of theirs came in eve.  Charles came out for a little while in morn.  Wrapped caramels this a.m.

Saturday, December 17, 1949

Went to Berdine’s in aft. for Brownie Christmas Party.  Mary Ellen went in eve. to S.S. class party.  Mercer Spaulding came this p.m. with 2 bushels of apples– yellow delicious and Jonathans.  He gave us one and W.J.S. the other.

Sunday, December 18, 1949

Ray and girls went to S.S. and church.  Boys to S.S.  L.R. went to S.S. Christmas party in aft. at church.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  All stayed home in eve. and listened to radio.  Made 2 batches of peanut brittle.

Monday, December 19, 1949

M.E. went to Scout meeting and took grab bag gift.  Called Cousins Willis & Mary this a.m.

Tuesday, December 20, 1949

Ray went to City Party at 5:30 p.m.  Emblems were awarded.  Package came from Rock Island.  Made caramels tonight.

Wednesday, December 21, 1949

Wrapped caramels this a.m.  Ray got the Christmas tree this eve.  Took girls downtown shopping and trimmed the tree afterwards.  Lorene came out for a few minutes and brought gifts for children from W.J.S. and herself, and a gift for Mother and one for me from her.

Thursday, December 22, 1949

Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Boxed and wrapped about 12 boxes candy.  Ray’s mother stopped by in aft. and left money for girls’ blankets, $10.00.

Friday, December 23, 1949

Turkey delivered today, $9.14, 12 lbs. 4 oz. dressed.

Saturday, December 24, 1949

Finished Margaret’s apron and pot holder, also Carol’s apron.  Troys came in eve. and brought gifts.  We gave them theirs.  We finished wrapping gifts, etc., and got to bed about midnight.  Jim stopped by at 11 p.m. and left a gal. of strawberry ice cream.

Sunday, December 25, 1949

Got up at 6 a.m.  Eating breakfast when Mother & Dad D. came.  Received many lovely gifts.  Children delighted with theirs.  Carol, Alan & Charles came.  Later, Margaret and John.  We ate about 1 p.m.  Ray went to S.S. & church.  Ray’s mother & dad went home at 4 p.m.  Aunt Helen came in eve.  Ray and children went to church in eve. for Christmas cantata.

Monday, December 26, 1949

Ray went to work this morning.  Evie called about coming this week and decided on Friday.  Mom called Minnie and she said they got home from Rock Island this aft.  Listened to radio in eve.

Tuesday, December 27, 1949

Mr. & Mrs. W.J.S. left this morning for St. Petersburg, Fla.  They’re going with the Andrews’ from Kewanee in the Spaulding car.  Mother D. took the girls to town at 10:30.  They shopped, had lunch at Thompson’s [Cafeteria] and saw “Ichabad & the Toad” at the Orpheum.  Listened to radio in eve.  Maureen has the stomach flu.

Wednesday, December 28, 1949

Washed the girls’ best dresses this morning.  L.R. isn’t feeling very well so she didn’t attend Meredith Glotte’s birthday party.  Maureen is o.k. today but Berdine is sick now.  Lorene and Katie were out tonight.  Lorene took Pat’s socks back for exchanging.

Thursday, December 29, 1949

Ironed girls’ dresses today.  Mrs. Godley came over in aft.  Ray went to choir rehearsal.  Pat went to town at noon with Mother D.

Friday, December 30, 1949

Evie, Dorothy & Delia were here for lunch.  We had chilli and apple pie.  Mother Durst came in aft., also Mrs. Godley.  Ray went to town in eve. and exchanged Jim’s corduroy shirt-jac, M.E.’s houseslippers and sweater, and got a due bill for Pat’s shirt-jac and my slip.  He returned sheeplined coat at Sears on way home from work.

Saturday, December 31, 1949

Girls went to town with Mother D.  Ray went to watch night party at church which started with a potluck supper at 6 p.m. He got home at midnight.  Quite a bit of noise made by bells, whistles, etc.  Jim exchanged his shirt-jac again and got brown corduroy with zipper.